iPad 2- Really worth the $499?
PRECAUTIONARY WARNING- This post may not appeal to Apple fanboys/fangirls
Okay, I’m guessing that the iPad 2 release event was an event which was viewed by almost everyone.. If you still haven’t seen it, Google it. Most people I know will DROOL over an Apple product. “Oh, it’s so shiny.It’s so brilliant. It looks so good. This is the world’s first ________”. These people NEED to get a life. Apple has been stealing technology from its competitors since it started out. A CLASSIC example would be Steve Jobs stealing the Graphical User Interface from Xerox.
“Good artists copy, great artists steal”- Steve Jobs
Need I say more?
Coming back to the topic – The iPad 2.
I really don’t understand what the hell is so great about a product named iPad. Steve Jobs,couldn’t you come up with anything better?Hasn’t the name caused embarrassment? The first thing i thought of, when i heard about the iPad was umm..u know what. 😛
The iPad 2 event at Cupertino caused a LOT of frenzy amongst the people. For the Apple Fanboys,it was a “new revolution”, apparently.
- The iPad 2 looks brilliant, no doubt about that. And, frankly, that’s the only thing it does. Look brilliant. The iPad 2 is “33 percent thinner and up to 15 percent lighter” than the original iPad. If the Apple engineers were so smart, why didn’t they implement this technology in the first iPad itself?I’ll tell you why. It’s a marketing strategy. If Apple would have introduced all these features in the first iPad, no one would buy the next iteration of the iPad. As simple as that.
- Flash Content still isn’t supported -Looks like Apple still hasn’t learnt a lesson. For a full Internet experience, won’t the consumer require Flash content to be supported? Looks like they’re hard at work implementing the market strategy mentioned above.
- “This will be the first dual core tablet” – Steve Jobs. Looks like Jobs is not keeping track of the competition. Doesn’t he know that Motorola had already announced that their tablet(Motorola Xoom) will have a dual-core processor?
- Steve Jobs forgot to tell us how much memory the iPad 2 has. Surprisingly, even the Apple website has forgotten. If the iPad 2 has the same memory as the original iPad(256 MB), won’t it be extremely embarrassing for the iPad 2 to stand next to its competitors such as the Motorola Xoom or the HP Touchpad, which both boast 1 GB of RAM?
- Where’s the cloud-syncing,Apple? Even though most devices have moved onto cloud computing, Apple has decided not to implement this technology in the latest ingemination of the iPad. Yes, that means you still need that ugly, white wire to sync your iPad to your Macintosh/PC. Applications such as Audiogalaxy or Air Server let you stream music and video to the iPad via Wi-Fi(not via 3G, mind you), but they don’t remove the need to connect your iPad to iTunes to back up or sync content for most apps. For a ‘revolutionary’ device, this sure is a enormous throwback.
- Maximum storage of an iPad is just 64 GB. For a power user like me,a tablet should at least have extendable memory support up to 32 GB. If the Samsung Galaxy Tab can have extendable memory support, then why not the iPad? Oh wait, I forgot. Marketing strategy.
- Cost– The iPad 2 costs $499. And that too,for the MOST basic model(wi-fi only 16GB model).. Isn’t that a bit too much for a product which doesn’t even have FLASH support?Next, are the applications.. GarageBand for $4.99? If a consumer is paying $499 of their hard-earned money, wouldn’t he/she not want to pay extra for such software? Can’t Apple keep it pre-installed like they do it on a Macintosh? $4.99 for an application is RIDICULOUS. And, Apple will sell a a new adapter cable for the iPad 2 to connect to your HDTV/projector. And guess what? It’s not in the iPad 2 box. It’ll be sold separately for $39. Looks like Apple certainly is following its slogan (“Think Different”). It’s ripping customers off, unlike other brands.
- Smart Covers – Apple certainly is taking a leaf out of RIM’s flagship product(BlackBerry). “It automatically wakes the iPad when you open it, and puts it to sleep when it closes it. Now how is this held on? Do we have screws? No — we use magnets.” Most BB users would know that this is the same technology which is used in their BB holsters. Sure, the idea of folding up the ‘Smart Cover’ and using it as support for the iPad is a ‘cool’ idea & would turn heads at Cafe Coffee Day..but, if the iPad is 33 percent lighter(The iPad now weighs 1.3 lbs), then why would anyone get tired of holding it & put it down?
- FaceTime(A ‘cool’ name for Video Calling) – Apple’s FaceTime technology works only over Wi-Fi…AND it works only with other Apple products(iPhone 4, iTouch 4th Gen,Macs) supporting FaceTime. The other tablets in this category allow video calls to be made to tablets/mobile phones of ANY brand. Apple rules with an iron hand over its consumers. And guess what? Most consumers enjoy it.
- Steve Jobs misquotes the Samsung VP Lee Young-hee. The Samsung VP had said that the “Galaxy Tab sales were ‘quite smooth’ ” and not “quite small”, Mr. Jobs. He’s getting old. Someone gift him a hearing aid…No, wait..I bet Apple will come up with their own hearing aid & claim it as revolutionary. 😛
- Screen size- The iPad 2 has a 9.7 inch screen and a 1024 X 768 screen resolution while the Motorola Xoom has a 10.1 inch screen and a 1280 X 800 screen resolution. At this point, I can actually listen to one of my friends(an ardent Apple Fanboy) saying- “What will you do with such a big screen? You might as well carry a laptop with you if you want such a big screen.”
- Proprietary Software Vs. Open-Source- The iPad, like all Apple products, is controlled by Apple’s iron hand. Android, on the other hand is open-source. Sure, you can jail-break your iPad but, would you really want to void the warranty of your $499 device? I don’t think so.
There’s no doubt that the iPad 2 is a great tablet. But, people need to understand that Apple is not the only company making great stuff. Other companies are emerging & they’re doing it better than Apple.
I’d like to end with a quote(not related to the iPad) by Steve Jobs- “If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it’s worth — and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago.” 😉