Future of Technology
Technology, as we know it, is at its peak right now. Dual-core processor phones, SUPER-AMOLED Plus displays, Noise-cancelling headphones, super-thin HD LED televisions, 3G, BlackBerrys, iPhones and Androids have all become part of our daily lives. Try imagining a day without Facebook & Twitter. It would be catastrophic. Teenagers all across the world would have absolutely nothing to do with the extra time!😆
Technology has truly, taken over all our lives.
So, what am i trying to prove here?
I just want to say that there is more room for improvement! It wouldn’t seem correct to say that right now but, just imagine the technology of the future!
This post is about what I, personally would like to see in future technology! So, here I go-
- Augmented Reality– I was introduced to the concept of Augmented Reality by Layar, an application in my brand new Android phone. An Augmented Reality application allows you to locate the Points of Interest around your location just by pointing your smartphone’s camera at the location.
What I’d like to see is Augmented Reality lenses! Yes, the idea is pretty crazy, i know. But, just imagine putting on AR lenses and seeing the information right there, in front of you. It’ll eradicate the need to have smartphone to access AR! Taking a picture or a video with the same would also be quite cool!😀
- Singularity– The concept of technological singularity is relatively new. According to this concept, there will be an absolutely new breed of smarter-than-human entities which can rapidly accelerate technological advancements! The smarter-than-human species can obey the three famous laws of Robotics made by the great Isaac Asimov. At the rate at which technology is currently developing, most scientists think that we just might achieve the Singularity by 2050!
- Immortality– The Philosopher’s Stone in Harry Potter inspired this. Will medical science ever be able to create the Fountain of Youth, that we have read about only in the books?
Advancements in biotechnology, genetics, tissue regeneration, artificial organs and life-saving drugs will definitely be able to give us longer lives, if not immortality. It has been predicted that by 2075, doctors and scientists would have worked together to slow down the aging process and eradicate almost all the life-threatening illnesses which plague the world. Not losing your loved ones has almost become a reality now.
- Cloning– Cloning has already been tried in 1996…on a sheep! Dolly was the first ever mammal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell. Right now, the cloning scene is slightly off-the-track. Animal cloning has been shown to have only 1 or 2 viable offspring for every 100 experiments. Even if human cloning will be possible, it will be full of risks and faults. Mental development of the cloned individual might not be like the original person.
On the other hand, cloning animals can help us to increase the number of endangered species in the world. Recently, wolves were cloned in South Korea.
- The PC Assistant– Have y’all ever seen Dexter’s Laboratory?
Wouldn’t you love it if a computer looked after all your needs like bathing, dressing etc?
Now, try applying that idea in reality. In the future, we will have computers all around us. They will be able to predict each and every move of ours. This powerful network of computers can be activated just by wearing a single device on your body. The computers can then recognize your personal choices & make decisions on your behalf, in your absence!
- Vertical Farming– Right now, huge horizontal lands are bought by farmers to grow their seed on.
But, imagine farming on a vertical land. The building could have a capacity to grow supplies for a whole town! Plus, we can get 24 X 7 crop production and freedom from pests! The only problem would be the cost of developing an atmosphere(suitable for the crops) inside the building. It could also solve our problems of poverty. Since there will be more land available, more buildings can be built for the poor to live in.
- Weather Control– Right now, we’re at the mercy of Nature. The only thing we can do now is predict what will happen and prevent it.
In the future, we might just be able to control the weather. There are innumerable benefits. We could have increased crop yields, lesser number of storms and we could just stop global warming! The ultimate benefit would be stopping hurricanes like Katrina from affecting us. Now, THAT would be the greatest piece of technology ever invented.
- Robots– The next generation of robots will definitely be something to look forward to. Robotic engineers are designing robots to almost look, act and feel like humans. This would make robot-human interaction much more easier. Robotic pets are also in the pipeline. So, no need to convince your parents for an actual dog/cat anymore! Robo-pets are being tested in Japan to remind the elderly to take their medication and as companions for kids!
- Bionic Limbs– Bionic limbs could provide a whole new outlook to life for the people who have lost their body parts in an unfortunate accident. Bionic limbs can be attached directly to the human skeleton and can be made to grow as a normal body-part. The process of attaching a bionic limb has been done via Intraosseous Transcutaneous Amputation Prosthesis (ITAP). A titanium rod is secured onto the bone. And, the risk of infection, which could be caused by bacteria passing from the external limb through the rod to the bone, is avoided because the skin tissue meshes around the rod to form a seal.
- Smart Homes– A home where you could turn your walls into a SmartScreen with the flick of a switch is a dream which each and every technology geek possesses. Everything would be at the touch of your fingers. Education, information, cookery, you name it and you can have it. The saying “Even walls have ears” is going to come true.😛
Microsoft’s research team had come up with a “virtual education” idea a few years ago. Microsoft wants to transform the classroom into an interactive, fun, learning experience. Worldly examples instead of the same dry equations would be a treat! We’re closer to having a home like ‘The Jetsons’!😀
- Smart Cars– No, I’m not referring to those small, cute cars.😀
The stress which is usually related with driving is going to be reduced to almost nothing!
A virtual chauffeur can be instructed to drive your car. Using your smartphone, you can instruct the chauffeur where to take the car. According to your choice, the chauffeur will ask you if you want to take a direct route or a scenic route while you enjoy in the seat.
And, don’t worry about finding a parking spot! Your car will be able to find an empty parking spot using GPS and might just be able to come back to you all by itself with the press of a button!
- A better workplace– Chuck out all your fancy BlackBerrys, laptops and projectors. You won’t be needing them anymore. You’ll have a wearable projector and your two hands tom manage everything on-the-go.
Pranav Mistry has shown us a glimpse of the future with his Sixth Sense technology! Though it can’t be implemented now, it’s an exciting prospect of technology & will be extremely useful for our future work-places! Other videos of his can be seen here and here!
It’s an exciting new future for this generation and I can’t wait for all this technology to be introduced and implemented! The functionality of this technology combined with its coolness, is a visual treat!
But, the day I’m looking forward to is the day when humans merge with machines. That would make us as powerful as The Terminator himself.😎
Any more futuristic ideas can be posted in comments! I’ll try and include them!
- “The only thing I can think of is something similar to apparition. I mean, it is possible, innit, to disintegrate a person into atoms and molecules and possibly use it, you know, for damn quick transportation. That would be so awesome!!! B)” – Devdan Vaidyanathan